Bear and Trout: Week 2 Story

 THE BURROWED BEAR AND TROUT

One gloomy morning, the clouds that hover over the Swiss Alps formed a haze over the well known clear water river that is in the heart of Switzerland. Warm and bright in the summer, but cold and frigid in the winter. No matter the season, this place is a prime spot for brown bears to snack on whatever animal they may desire. 

The river alongside the Swiss Alps is accompanied by a burrowed bear cave, which is where Mr. Big and his family of four reside. Growing up, Mr. Big and his family always traveled back and forth between the clearwater river and the lake on the other side of the hill. Since this is a comfortable spot for him, he decided to raise a family of his own here. 


Dawn is Mr. Big's favorite time of day because he gets to show his two baby cubs, Shirley and Saxton how to prey on glorious fish that lie beneath the clear waters. On this specific morning, Mr. Big noticed a group of brown trout that remained near an icy patch of ice, which he figured would be an easy trap for Shirley and Saxton to perfect their catching technique. 

"Salü" said Mr. Big to the pack of brown trout, "I see that you guys are stuck in this ice hole, and my cubs would like to offer some assistance". "Yah! We've been swimming in the clear water lake across the way and saw so many brown trouts that were enjoying the fresh water and juicy bugs!", said Saxton. An old, wise brown trout with one fin, named Finny exclaimed, "why would you want to help us? You are our biggest enemy". Shirley giggled and said, "well Finny, it looks like you could use a hand. Plus, we don't eat trout anyway, we get our nutrients from whitefish and rabbits".

Finny shrugged and chatted with his group, then replied "well, I guess if we don't escape this hole, we will be left to freeze, but you must promise us one thing", "what's that?" Mr. Big replied. "You have to carry us on your back, so we know you aren't going to gobble us up". Mr. Big shouted, "you have yourself a deal, Finny!"

One by one, each brown trout hopped on Mr. Big's family's back as they crawled their way towards a new life in the freshwater lake. A dense canopy overlaid the lake and the branches stirred in the shivering wind, but it stopped just in time for Mr. Big to plop the first delivery down under a towering red oak tree. He said, "we have arrived! Go ahead and jump in", then smacked the fish to the ground and scraped Finny clean. Of course, Shirley, Saxton, and their mama joined right in.

What a wonderful day Mr. Big and his family were having! They made about ten more trips back and forth between the river and lake until they came across a bearded vulture, who swooped down from the red oak tree. Vinny the vulture said, "uhh are you going to include me? You're kind of intruding my home". Mr. Big screamed, "we share this land, sir, what makes you think you should be a part of this?" Vinny laughed under his breath, "who made you the king of the Alps? I notice that you are teaching your family how to take the easy way out". Mr. Big stood tall and said, "there is no easy way, we all have a different outlook on life, but we are all fighting for the same thing."

Vinny jumped on top of Mr. Big's head and began poking at his eyes and did the same to Shirley, Saxton, and mama bear. Vinny shouted, "how's the outlook of life look now, huh?", then began to prey on the family. 

Mr. Big was caught in his own deceit and Vinny continued to live as if life were a treat, up in the canopy of the red oak tree. 

Author's Note: This short story was written based off of the classic tale of "The Cunning Crane and The Crab". I was inspired by the winter season in the Swiss Alps because it is somewhere that I have always dreamed of visiting. I took the basic concept of the story and gave it a twist by changing the location and characters. I made sure to include a life lesson that all should face at some point during their life, which is that deception should not be taught, instead everyone should hard work to achieve satisfaction.

Bibliography: "The Cunning Crane and The Crab" from Jatakas by W.H.D. Rouse. Web Source
Image Information: Ruinaulta Dusk. Source Creative Commons

Comments

  1. Hi Caroline,
    I loved the Swiss Alps setting and the imagery of the story! Especially the part where the bear greets the trout with "Salü". That was a nice touch.
    One thing that strikes me about your story is how true to the original story it is in terms of the severity of the characters' "punishments" for their actions! I was kind of shocked when I read the blunt description of how the fish died and the crane died, because I had subconsciously entered the mindset that I was reading a children's story. Your story kind of gave me a similar feeling. The bear family came to a pretty brutal end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey caroline! I love how you integrated a real life setting into a more fantastic story. It is all sort of fantasy to me being that the Alps are like one of the most majestic places on planet Earth, so it was a great decision from you to go with that I'd say. I really like the moral of this story, that being to live a life attempting to be as straight and true as possible, to win at life by being highly determined, not through deceit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline! I really enjoyed the original version of this story so I was super excited to see your spin on the story in such a beautiful place. Your storytelling was very elegant and easy to follow. The lesson behind the story is so important and you taught this lesson through your re-telling of this story in such an enjoyable way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caroline,
    I really enjoyed your rendition of the story about the cunning crab and crane. I also wrote one of my story blog posts about this same little tale. By putting a personal touch and placing your story in a snowy climate, it made it more fun tor read. The setting of the story shifted the moods and perspective on the characters as well. For some reason, I had portrayed the crane in the original story as malicious, and wicked; however, Mr. Big and his family in your story are seen less so. I think it would add more depth and clarity to the story if you added more characterization for the creatures. I wonder where Vinny the vulture came from. While this is a short story, I think more background information or characterization on Vinny would help give the story more insight. May I also suggest, if you decide to revise and lengthen the story, how the cubs Saxton and Shirley have learned their lesson (or haven't).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Caroline, this story was great. I also wrote a story of my own using Cunning Crab and Crane as the base. I really like that you switched up the animals in the story. It seemed like a whole new story whereas mine was more of a copy with a slightly different twist. I also like that the bear had a family and didn't seem as evil as the crane seemed in the original story. I do think that it would have been better if there was more detail as to what Mr.Big was actually doing with the trouts. We can infer that he was putting them in a place for easy-feeding from the story, but there's no explicit statement about it. Also, did the whole family die?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline,

    This story is really good. A lot of people have issues when it comes to separating their words out into different paragraphs so it doesn't overwhelm the reader. I found your spacing to be really nice and it comes together quite well. The inclusion of changing the location to a place that is present in our reality was a really good idea. It allowed me to relate more to the story in a certain way. I hope to see more of your high quality stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Caroline!! I loved reading your story as it was based on the cunning crab story, mine was the same. I can most definitely with confidence say that you did a far better job than me, and i enjoyed the way you broke everything down into little chunks, it helps the reader digest all the information. I think it was really creative overall, from the setting to the characters all the way to their names. The theme of deception is prominent in your story and it seems like that was the main focus. I think that is why i enjoyed it so much, because the art of deception is super fascinating and has real life implications. Often times we might think that someone doing something for us is out of the kindness of them, but later we realize it was for their own personal gain in some way. Overall, great story and i am definitely looking forward to reading more of your work in the near future

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts