Feedback Thoughts & Strategies

FEEDBACK THOUGHTS


Fear is the root of all of most of the battles that I conquer in my work and educational life. The fear of not being enough. Whether it be smart enough, kind enough, bold enough--it is really all a direct result of my fears. What I need to realize is that fear is natural and debilitating, but it does not have to disengage your progress. Through this article, I learned that when I experience self-doubt, it means that I am forcing myself to try something new, which is something that I should be proud of, not ashamed of. 

Do not undermine your successes in comparison to other people's successes. Instead, build them up to create unity between the two common forces. We often lose sight of the reason we get started on projects, and this can easily be seen when you compare yourself to your colleagues or classmates. This is something that I used to beat myself up about so much in high school, especially when ACT scores came out and I began to compare my scores to others. In the end, I was going to the same college as half of the people that I had cried over having a higher score than me. Looking back on this, it seems ridiculous, but the same goes for my current life as I apply for graduate school. As I talk to my fellow classmates now, I try to talk to them about the positive topics, instead of focusing on the various negative, debilitating topics. 

The most difficult mindset for me to forget about is perfectionism. This is a word that haunts me because I simply cannot figure out how to escape it. I think it is important that the author said, "when you believe that you have to be perfect, you are never able to view yourself as measuring up". This is great to remember because exceeding high expectations is something that I center myself on, which can be really tiring. In order to relieve these feelings, I need to set realistic goals that are attainable to reach the larger goal. Becoming more realistic in the way that I live my life will help give clarity in my daily decisions. 

Image Information: Self Doubt Quote. Source

FEEDBACK STRATEGIES

I think constructive criticism is the best way to learn from your mistakes because the flaw is emphasized, but corrected with respect and guidance. Receiving feedback can be hard, but we all know that we could benefit from it. It all narrows down to how you interpret the information given. I think if children are taught how to criticize respectfully, that they will benefit from it in the long run. For example, in high school, I was on the dance team, and our director encouraged us to raise our hand and point out any flaws to ensure that each performance went as smoothly as possible, which in the end, we all benefitted from. This a lifelong quality that I will always carry and cherish. It is so important to leave yourself out of the statement when giving someone else feedback because, well, to put it simply, it's not about you 😬. Each opinion that you're receiving feedback from should be taken into consideration. 

Image Information: Feedback Quote. Source Creative Commons



Comments

Popular Posts