Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, The Chase, Part B

 Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, The Chase, Part B

Characters:

Ramachandra (Rama) (M): "Supreme Being" charming
Maricha or Mareecha (M): "demon" kidnapper
Lakshmana (M): has signs of fortune
Sita (F): "Daughter of the earth goddess" ideal woman
Ravana (M): "symbol of evil" educated + demon
The Deer

Plot:

While listening, I realized that the most important part of this story is Sita's sadness of her husband, Rama's death. Her sorrow shines through her voice as she argues that his life should not have been taken and that if he dies, that she might as well die with him. It is a symbol of her love for Rama. She sees no value in life if life is to be lived without Rama's presence. She then proceeds to bless and forgive the forest where he died, even though she is in agony, which shows her strength. 


Important Phrases:

I will not live one moment after he dies
I am troubled because I behold evil omens
May the spirits protect hidden enemies in the forest
I cannot live without Rama

These are all phrases that I could use to warp into a new story, maybe even a love story, because I want to emphasize Sita's deep desire for Rama, so much so, that she would die to be with him in spirits. 


Image Information: "Lord Rama" Source, Flickr
Bibliography:  Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913) Source


Comments

Popular Posts