Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Rama is Banished, Part A

 READING NOTES: PDE RAMAYANA, RAMA IS BANISHED, PART A

Character Chart:

Ramachandra (Rama) (M) "Supreme Being" charming
Maharajah (M) "Great Ruler" petty
Kaikeyi (F): naive + power-hungry
Sita (F): "Daughter of the earth goddess" ideal woman
Bharata (M): A symbol of dharma and idealism
Yuvarajah (M): "Crown Prince"

Words and Phrases that Stood Out to Me:

Streamers and flowers
Golden thrown 
Tiger spread for his feet
Prep for sacrifice 
Crowd who loved
Bless and protect
Women threw flowers on him
Like the waves of the stormy sea
Fears to speak his purpose until promised to serve his fathers will
Lips have never lied
Low caste
He will obey his father's command and show his people the way
Rama was unmoved while everyone was crying

I took note of these phrases as I was listening to the audiobook because they were the key points that helped me visualize the story. I imagined a festival vibe in the middle of a crowded town with castles and elaborate architecture, like you would see in a Bollywood movie. Bright colors and cheers fill my mind at the beginning of the story, but by the end, the citizens were weeping. The mood of the story took a turn, but it still had a subtle positive burst due to the reassurance that Rama gave to the people. I like how the emotions of each character shined through their words. Here is how I imagined this story set in my mind:

Image Information: "Rama" Source: Flickr

Bibliography: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913) Source

Comments

Popular Posts