Week 4 Story: The Chase Sequel

 RAMAYANA, THE CHASE SEQUEL

Rama was in the forest hunting with his arrow and shot a deer, who turned out to be Maricha, a demon in disguise. Maricha shouted in pain and imitated the voice of Rama, pretending that he was in danger and soon to be dead. Because of this, Sita was distraught. She was begging Lakshmana for his fortunes to answer "Rama's" cries for help, but Lakshmana denied helping because he had other duties and believed that demons brought the words that Sita believed to be coming from Rama. By the end of the story, Sita was in so much pain that she began experiencing feelings of self-harm. She cried and shouted that she couldn't live without Rama's presence and that she'd rather be dead. Below, I have created a sequel to what I think might come next:


"Oh Rama, oh Rama, what ever will I do without you? Life is so dreadful." Sita said as she scrambled to stand to her feet. "I cannot believe I will have to go on this way. The demon needs to pay for his terrible deed!'. Lakshmana tried his best to soothe Sita with his fortunes and rituals, but Sita could not see past this tragedy. Lakshmana came back with the heartbreaking news that Rama was missing. Sita escaped Lakshmana's sight and ran miles and miles into the forest with two bottles of poison, which she and Rama were saving to use in an emergency. Quickly, she popped open the cap, and wept Rama's name, then, "GULP", she took a sip, and soon she saw the light, where she met Rama in the afterworld.

Author's Note: I realized that the most important part of this story is Sita's sadness of her husband, Rama's death. Her sorrow shines through her voice as she argues that his life should not have been taken and that if he dies, that she might as well die with him. It is a symbol of her love for Rama. She sees no value in life if life is to be lived without Rama's presence. She then proceeds to bless and forgive the forest where he died, even though she is in agony, which shows her strength. I wanted to add a twist to the remaining story by creating this sequel.

 Image Information: Rama-Sita, Lakshmana in Exile in the Dandaka Forest. Source: Flickr.

Bibliography: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913) Source.

Comments

  1. Hi Caroline!
    Nice to meet you! I really enjoyed the story that you have written for this week. First of all, I would like to say that I really appreciate the usability of this website. I think that it is really accessible and I appreciate how "easy" it is on the eyes. I wrote a story similar to what you have written here about Rama and Sita's love, but I think yours is a lot better executed. I think just about everything in this story is perfect, but what if you incorporated more dialogue? I think it would be really interesting to hear Sita's inner monologue come to life through your writing. I think as a young woman in 2020 we have a different view on love, but it could be an interesting transition. Overall I really enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading more of your work here in the near future! Best of luck to you for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caroline,
    I really enjoyed reading your interpretation of the story of Sita’s love. I like how you broke down the format of the story, as well as, I liked how you began with this “Below I have created a sequel to what I think might come next:“. I wonder if after finishing the entire story and learning of how Rama banished Sita if you still believe the idea of Rama and Sitas unrequited love to be true. I agree that a lot of the story of Ramayana alludes to Rama and Sitas love for eachother. What if in your adaptation of a sequel you decided to switch the roles and had Rama as the character desperate to meet his lover in death. Overall this was a great sequel and the direction you took could have easily been in the original story. Great job on this story I look forward to seeing your other projects over the course of this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caroline,
    I like your vision on this story, and the way that you carried the story along. This is a bold take to take on the original story, and I like what it has done with the story as a whole. At first when you had Sita carrying the poison I was very curious to what she was going to do with it. Then she decided to drink it and I was shocked, and it made me curious to what would happen to the rest of the story if Sita's death happened, because this was right before she got kidnapped. One thing I wasn't completely sure from from the story was if Rama drank the poison too or if the demon had killed him. I assume he drank the poison too, and this kind of reminded of the Hunger Games when Katnis and Peta drank the poison at the end to lose together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline, (TAG)
    I really enjoyed reading your story about Sita and Rama. Something I really liked was just the overall sequel of the story, it truly was something I really liked. I enjoyed how you showed the love Sita had for Rama by running into the forest and drinking the potion she save for emergency for them. Not quite the way she probably would've thought she would drink the potion, but what an ending to be reunited with the love of her life. What do you think would've been the outcome if she drank the potion, went to heaven or wherever she may go, and Rama wasn't there? Would she be able to undrink the potion, throw it up or something to go back to where she was in the forest? Just a thought, but I understand it is your own written story so you pick all the things that happen, but great job! I wonder if the roles were switched, would Rama do the same thing for Sita or would he just go on with his life? I think this would be something just to think about adding next time, just a thought.
    Good Job Caroline, I look forward to hearing more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey caroline! I really enjoyed reading your part version of the deer chase! I liked how creative you were, I would have never thought to end tings that way! It kind of reminds me of romeo and Juliet ( when romeo take the poison). Maybe that could be another rendition a romeo-Juliet aspect to it where she thinks hes dead so she kills himself and he finds her in the forest dead and is distraught by the pain only to opt to do the same as Sita did, end his life. You could even write it in the way romeo and Juliet is written , with similar dialogue. Also just wondering, what kind of occasion would sita and rama need that for? Maybe that could be an interesting story. These are just minor suggestions, your story was fantastic! have a great week and keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts