Microfiction: Six-Word Story

 Six-Word Story

Abnormal psychology, I lived and learned. 


Authors Note: Abnormal Psychology (PSY-4453) is a course that I am currently enrolled in and highly recommend it to anyone who has completed the prerequisites. This is a course that has broadened my understanding of myself and those around me. I think this class should be offered to every student at the university because every one of us has mental health that needs to be administered. I have learned about various mental disorders and different therapies used to treat them. Through my knowledge of the criteria used to diagnose in real life, psychological practices (counseling, psychiatry, etc.), it has allowed me to pinpoint my own hardships. This class provoked me to acknowledge my mental health and receive the help needed to improve my everyday life. Without this course, I would have never realized that my internal thoughts might have a label, and I believe that others might have the same realization if they educate themselves through enrolling in PSY-4453, or by reading the updated DSM-5 criteria for mental disorders. This is a vulnerable post, but I believe that speaking out about mental health will help normalize the stigma around common feelings, thoughts, and disorders, in order for others to obtain professional help needed. 

Image Information: Mental Health. Source: Flickr.


Comments

  1. Caroline,
    I love how short and sweet you made this story. A six word story makes it all the best and so easy to read but maybe not the easiest to understand. Your authors note really stood out to me and helped me understand the story so much better. Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, I love this story and your authors note about how we should destigmatize the conversation around mental health. I took abnormal Psych last semester and truly believe it is one of the best courses offered at OU. It teaches one so much about themselves and equips you with the tools to help those around you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caroline,
    This was a very interesting micro fiction and definitely my first time reading one of its kind. I really like how in depth you went in your authors notes. Specifically, your authors notes did a very good job of explaining what is I had read. Abnormal psychology sounds like a very interesting class and after hearing your high praise of it I may have to check it out. I love that you were vulnerable with this post and had that willingness to speak on something you are passionate about. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline,
    I did not expect to encounter such an informative author's note. Abnormal Psychology sounds like a very interesting and helpful class. Unfortunately, I do not think I will be able to experience that class as I graduate this semester and I do not believe I meet the requirements. However, I really appreciate that you allowed yourself to be vulnerable and spread awareness of mental health. I personally have had a family member who have had mental disorders and it was difficult to find them the help they needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline,
    First, six word stories are so hard to write! Kudos to you for doing it so well. Second, I also took abnormal psych! It was so interesting! I learned so much in such a short amount of time! Just like you, it helped me identify some things in myself that I didn’t know about either. Although self-diagnosing is one thing we aren’t supposed to do (and I am definitely not diagnosing myself) its really nice to know that somethings are completely normal, even if the class is called abnormal psych!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Caroline,
    Thanks for recommending this class! I can see how learning about psychology can be very important even for people who don't necessarily suffer from something that would be recognized as a mental health disorder. I feel like learning about all the different theories that explain what goes on in people's minds helps make you more self-aware and able to recognize your own patterns of thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts