Week 9 Microfiction Revision

  BEFORE: 

 Six-Word Story

Abnormal psychology, I lived and learned. 


Authors Note: Abnormal Psychology (PSY-4453) is a course that I am currently enrolled in and highly recommend it to anyone who has completed the prerequisites. This is a course that has broadened my understanding of myself and those around me. I think this class should be offered to every student at the university because every one of us has mental health that needs to be administered. I have learned about various mental disorders and different therapies used to treat them. Through my knowledge of the criteria used to diagnose in real life, psychological practices (counseling, psychiatry, etc.), it has allowed me to pinpoint my own hardships. This class provoked me to acknowledge my mental health and receive the help needed to improve my everyday life. Without this course, I would have never realized that my internal thoughts might have a label, and I believe that others might have the same realization if they educate themselves through enrolling in PSY-4453, or by reading the updated DSM-5 criteria for mental disorders. This is a vulnerable post, but I believe that speaking out about mental health will help normalize the stigma around common feelings, thoughts, and disorders, for others to obtain professional help needed. 

AFTER:

Abnormal psychology, I lived and learned. 

Authors Note: As you might notice, I did not use this review to revise the original six-word story (which took me a long time to come up with), but instead to adjust the phrasing of my authors note since I recieved some helpful comments that caught my eye. I realize that not everyone will have a chance to take abnormal psychology, which is the sole reason I chose to cover the course in a microfiction. I believe that everyone should be cognizant of the importance of the "abnormal" psychology that can occur in every individual. As I reflect, I recognize that I might have made it sound like you can self-diagnose yourself by reading the DSM-5 criteria, and that was simply my mistake. I linked the DSM-5 as a research tool for those who are interested in learning more about the criteria that link to each diagnosis and to use it as a guide to further the understanding of mental disorders. I realize that many of my classmates may already be diagnosed with some of these disorders just like me! I found the DSM-5 as a resourceful guide to learning more about my diagnoses and how they can be treated and better maintained. Throughout this process, I have gained insight into how available resources are and believe that others may benefit from it as well. 


Image Information: 
Mental Health. Source: Flickr.
Mistakes. Source: Flickr.

Comments

  1. Caroline, I like how you made some revisions to your Author's note and acknowledged that you did not at all recommend people to diagnose themselves from the DSM-5. As some who has taken abnormal psychology I think it is important that everyone be informed about the criteria for diagnoses in the DSM-5 but don't spend a lot of time analyzing themselves based off of the content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline, I enjoyed your 6 word story and I also think that mental health and to have a relationship with one’s own mental health is very important. I have taken a few psychology classes at OU- I also think that the DSM 5 is an important resource for mental health research and considerations but agree that there is a bigger picture to diagnosis and management of mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Caroline,
    My enrollment window for Spring 2021 had opened, and I was debating between taking abnormal psychology and clinical psychology. After reading your microfiction and author's note, I favored toward abnormal psychology a lot more. I'm excited to take the class and I think that it will be interesting to learn the various topics offered. Mental health is such a big deal, especially in this time where the pandemic can be mentally draining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caroline, great job on your short story! I think this is such an important topic. when I read your authors note and you said that it took you a while to come up with this story I related so much! I tried writing microfictions but they seem so hard to really get down and to find a topic to write about. This story is also so relatable especially at this time when the pandemic and cases are so high. Not to mention the election that just went on. It certainly is a crazy time we live in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts